Governor of New Jersey 1990-1994
James J. Florio was elected Governor of New Jersey on November 7, 1989, defeating Republican Congressman James Courter by a 62-38% margin. Inaugurated on January 16, 1990, Florio served until January 18, 1994 when he was succeeded by Christine Todd Whitman.
The Governor James J. Florio Archive, launched in January 2012, features a growing body of information about the Florio administration including major speeches, reports, memos, press accounts and other material generated during the time as well as newly generated retrospective interviews, forums and analysis. The Center on the American Governor welcomes suggestions and corrections to make this archive as accurate, informative and useful as possible.
Actions and Events
- Health and Welfare Policy and Reform
- Assault Weapons Ban
- Government Efficiency and Reform
- Urban Economic Development
- Environment and Energy Policy
- Interviews and Forums
- NJ Reporter Magazine archive: articles about governors
- Campaign Advertisements: 1989, 1993
- Outside Resources