State-by-State Bibliography Part II (Michigan through Wyoming)
Page two of the state-by-state bibliography of books about governors, this page includes the states of Michigan through Wyoming. Unlisted states do not have entries, but we are always updating the list. Please do not hesitate to contact us with citations that should be added.
Page one, including the states of Alabama through Massachusetts, is available here.
A bibliography organized by topic is available here.
- Hemans, Lawton T. (1920). Life And Times of Stevens Thomson Mason: The Boy Governor of Michigan. Lansing, MI: Michigan Historical Commission.
- Mollenhoff, Clark R. (1968). George Romney: Mormon in Politics. Des Moines, IA: Meredith Press.
- Greenberg, Keith Elliot and Keith Greenburg. (1999). Jesse Ventura. Minneapolis: Lerner Publishing Group.
- Ventura, Jesse. (2000). I Ain’t Got Time to Bleed: Reworking the Body Politic from the Bottom Up. New York, NY: Signet.
- Wilson, Betty. (2005). Rudy! the People’s Governor: The Life And Times Of Rudy Perpich. Minneapolis, MN: Nodin Press.
- Sumners, Cecil Lamar. (1980). The Governors of Mississippi. Gretna, LA: Pelican Publishing Co.
- Waller, Bill. (2007). Straight Ahead: The Memoirs of a Mississippi Governor. Brandon, MS: Quail Ridge Press.
- Opocensky, Virginia. (1985). Nebraska Governors. Lincoln, NE: Lincoln City Libraries.
- Wehrbein, Theodore J. (2006). The Political Career of Robert B. Crosby, Nebraska Governor, 1953-1955. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska at Omaha. (M.A. Thesis)
- Aron, Michael. (1994). Governor’s Race: A TV Reporter’s Chronicle of the 1993 Florio/Whitman Campaign. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Birkner, Michael J., Donald Linky, and Peter Mickulas, eds. (2014). The Governors of New Jersey: Biographical Essays. New Brunswick NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Felzenberg, Alvin S. (2006). Governor Tom Kean: From the New Jersey Statehouse to the 9-11 Commission. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Hogarty, Richard A. (2001). Leon Abbett’s New Jersey:The Emergence of the Modern Governor. Darby, PA: Diane Publishing Co.
- Lockard, Duane. (1964). The New Jersey Governor: A Study in Political Power. Princeton: D. Van Nostrand.
- McClure, Sandy. (1996). Christie Whitman for the People: A Political Biography. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books.
- Stellhorn, Paul A. and Michael J. Birkner, (eds.). (1982). The Governors of New Jersey 1664-1974: Biographical Essays. Trenton, NJ, New Jersey Historical Commission.
- Wefing, John B. (2009). The Life and Times of Richard J. Hughes: The Politics of Civility. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Weissman, Art. (1996). Christine Todd Whitman: The Making of a National Political Player. Secaucus, NJ: Carol Publishing Corp.
- Dargan, Miguel Marion. (1940) My Nine Years as Governor of the Territory of New Mexico, 1897-1906. Albuquerque, NM, University of New Mexico Press.
- Rice, Liz. (2008). Bill Richardson. Philadelphia: Mason Crest Publishers.
- Cuomo, Mario. (1984). Diaries of M. Cuomo: The Campaign for Governor. New York, NY: Random House.
- Jenkins, John S. (1851). Lives of the Governors of the State of New York . Auburn, NY: Derby and Miller.
- Masters, Brooke A. (2006). Spoiling for a Fight: The Rise of Eliot Spitzer. New York, NY: Owl Books.
- Morris, Edmund. (2001). The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. New York, NY: Modern Library.
- Morris, Edmund. (2001). Theodore Rex. New York, NY: Random House.
- Persico, Joseph E. (1982). The Imperial Rockefeller: A Biography of Nelson A. Rockefeller. New York, NY: Pocket Books.
- Reich, Cary. (1996). The Life of Nelson A. Rockefeller: Worlds to Conquer, 1908-1958. New York, NY: Doubleday.
- Tully, Grace. (1949). Franklin Delano Roosevelt, My Boss. Chicago, Il: Peoples Book Club.
- Underwood, James E. and William J. Daniels. (1982). Governor Rockefeller in New York: The Apex of Pragmatic Liberalism in the United States. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Crabtree, Beth G. (1974). North Carolina Governors 1585-1974: Brief Sketches. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Division of Archives & History.
- Ohio Historical Society, Ohio History Central (brief biographies of Ohio governors)
- Rhodes, James A. (1991). Ohio Governor 1963-1971 and 1975-1983. Columbus, OH: Ohio Editorial Enterprises.
- Fischer, LeRoy Henry. (1975). Oklahoma’s Governors 1890-1907: Territorial Years. Norman, OK: Oklahoma Historical Society.
- Armor, William C. (1872). Lives of the Governors of Pennsylvania, with the Incidental History of the State from 1609 to 1872. Philadelphia: James K. Dixon.
- Casey, Robert P. (1996). Fighting for Life. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Inc.
- Swetnam, George. (1990). The Governors of Pennsylvania 1790-1990. Greensburg, PA: McDonald & Sward Publishing Co.
- Thornburgh, Dick. (2003). Where the Evidence Leads: An Autobiography. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Wolf, George D. (1981). William Warren Scranton: Pennsylvania Statesman. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press.
- Mohr, Ralph S. (1954). Governors for Three Hundred Years: Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, 1638-1954. Providence, RI: State of Rhode Island Graves Registration Committee.
- Crawford, Charles Wann. (1979). Governors of Tennessee, 1790-1835. Memphis, TN: Memphis State University Press.
- Texas State Historical Association, Handbook of Texas Online (online biographies of Texas governors)
- Anderson, Ken. (2008). Dan Moody: Crusader for Justice. Washington, DC: Georgetown Press.
- De Bruhl, Marshall. (1993). Sword of San Jacinto: A Life of Sam Houston. New York, NY: Random House.
- Fitzgerald, Hugh Nugent. (1927). Governors I Have Known. Austin:: The Austin American-Statesman.
- Gantt, Jr., Fred. (1964). The Chief Executive in Texas. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- Phares, Ross. (1976). The Governors of Texas. Gretna, LA: Pelican.
- Williams, Amelia W. and Eugene C. Barker, eds. (1970). The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813-1863 (8 vols). Austin and New York: Pemberton Press.
- Williams, John Hoyt. (1993). Sam Houston: A Biography of the Father of Texas. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.
- Lythgoe, Dennis L. (1982). Let ‘Em Holler: A Political Biography of J. Bracken Lee. Salt Lake City: Utah State Historical Society.
- Brock, R.A. (1888). Virginia and Virginians: Executives of the Colony of Virginia from Sir Thomas Smyth to Lord Dunmore. Charlottesville, VA: H.H. Hardesty.
- Jeffries, Judson L. (2000). Virginia’s Native Son: The Election and Administration of Governor L. Douglas Wilder. Purdue University Press.
- Scheer, Teva J. (2005). Governor Lady: The Life and Times of Nellie Tayloe Ross. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press.