Bibliography - U.S. Governors
(Selected Biographies, Memoirs and Profiles)
- Black, Earl. (1976). Southern Governors and Civil Rights: Racial Segregation As a Campaign Issue. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Hesseltine, William B. (1948). Lincoln and the War Governors. New York, NY: Knopf.
- Mullaney, Marie Marmo. (1994). Biographical Directory of the Governors of the United States 1988-1994. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Mullaney, Marie Marmo. (1989). Biographical Directory of the Governors of the United States, 1983-1988. Westport, CT: Meckler Books.
- Sobel, Robert and John Raimo, eds. (1978). Biographical Directory of the Governors of the United States, 1789-1978. Westport, CT: Meckler Books.
- Carter, Dan T. (2000). The Politics of Rage: George Wallace, the Origins of the New Conservatism, and the Transformation of American Politics. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press.
- Cotter, Patrick R. and James Glen Stovall. (2009). After Wallace: the 1986 Contest for Governor and Political Change in Alabama. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press.
- Dorman, Michael. (1976). The George Wallace Myth. New York, NY:: Bantam Books.
- Frady, Marshall. (1996). Wallace: The Classic Portrait of Alabama Governor George Wallace. New York, NY: Random House.
- Frederick, Jeff. (2007). Stand up for Alabama: Governor George Wallace. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press.
- Howard, Gene. (2008). Patterson for Alabama: the Life and Career of John Patterson. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press.
- Jones, W. Raymond. (2000). Alabama Governors Then and Now. Montgomery, AL: W.R. Jones.
- Rohler, Lloyd. (2004). George Wallace: Conservative Populist. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- Trest, Warren. (2008). Nobody but the People: the Life and Times of Alabama’s Youngest Governor. Montgomery, AL: NewSouth Books.
- Wallace, George C. (1976). Stand up for America. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- Webb, Samuel L. and Margaret E. Armbrester, eds. (2001). Alabama Governors: A Political History of the State. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press.
- Hammond, Jay. (1996). Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor: The Extraordinary Autobiography of Jay. S. Hammond. Kenmore, WA: Epicenter Press.
- Hilley, Joe, (2008). Sarah Palin: A New Kind of Leader. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing.
- James, G. Robert. (2008). Sarah Palin: The Real Deal. Lakeland, FL: White Stone Books.
- Johnson, Kaylene. (2008). Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned the Political Establishment Upside Down. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers.
- Palin, Sarah. (2009). Going Rogue: An American Life. New York, NY: HarperCollins.
- Clinton, Bill. (2004). My Life. New York, NY: Knopf.
- Donovan, Timothy Paul and Willard B. Gatewood. (1981). The Governors of Arkansas: Essays in Political Biography. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press.
- Hamilton, Nigel. (2003). Bill Clinton: An American Journey. New York, NY: Random House.
- Huckabee, Mike. (1997). Character is the Issue: How People With Integrity Can Revolutionize America. Nashville, TN: B&H Publishing Group.
- Ward, John L. (1978). The Arkansas Rockefeller. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press.
- Urwin, Cathy Kunzinger. (1991). Agenda for Reform: Winthrop Rockefeller as Governor of Arkansas, 1967-71. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press.
- McMillan, James Elton. (2004). Ernest W. McFarland: Majority Leader of the United States Senate, Governor and Chief Justice of the State of Arizona. Prescott AZ: Hall, Sharlot Museum Press.
- Myers, John L. (1989). The Arizona Governors 1912-1990. Phoenix: Heritage Publications.
- Cannon, Lou. (2003). Governor Reagan: His Rise to Power. New York, NY: Public Affairs.
- Douzet, Frederick, Thad Kousser, and Ken Miller, eds. (2008). The New Political Geography of California. Berkeley CA: Institute of Governmental Studies Press.
- Leamer, Eric. (2006). Fantastic: The Life of Arnold Schwarzenegger. New York, NY: Public Affairs.
- Mathews, Joe. (2006). The People's Machine: Arnold Schwarzenegger And the Rise of Blockbuster Democracy. New York, NY: Public Affairs.
- Melendy, H. Brett and Benjamin F. Gilbert. (1965). The Governors of California: Peter H. Burnett to Edmund G. Brown. Georgetown, CA: Talisman Press.
- Morris, Edmund. (1999). Dutch: A Memoir of Ronald Reagan. New York, NY: Random House.
- Quinn, Mildred. (1970). California Governors: Past and Present. Chicago: Franklin Publications.
- Schaechtele, Molly Shoemaker. (1995). The Governors of California and their Portraits. Sacramento: California State Capitol Museum Volunteer Association.
- Worthen, James. (2006). Governor James Rolph and the Great Depression in California. San Francisco: McFarland & Co.
- Lamm, Richard. (1984). Pioneers & Politicians: 10 Colorado Governors in Profile. Boulder, CO: Pruett Publishing Co.
- Preston, R.L. (2006). Stetson, Pipe, and Boots–Colorado’s Cattleman Governor: A Biography About Dan Thornton. Victoria, B.C., Canada: Trafford Publishing.
- Norton, Frederick Calvin. (1905). The Governors of Connecticut. Hartford, CT: Connecticut Magazine Co.
- Division of Historical Resources, Department of State, State of Florida, Florida Governors' Portraits (online portraits and brief profiles of governors from 1821 through present)
- Dyckman, Martin. (2006). Floridian of His Century: The Courage of Governor Leroy Collins. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida.
- Cook, James F. (2005). Governors of Georgia, 1754-1995. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.
- Henderson, Harold Paulk. (2000). Ernest Vandiver: Governor of Georgia. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.
- Henderson, Harold Paulk. (1991). The Politics of Change in Georgia: A Political Biography of Ellis Arnall. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.
- Hyatt, Richard. (1997). Zell: The Governor who Gave Georgia Hope. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.
- Ress, David. (2006). Governor Edward Coles and the Vote to Forbid Slavery in Illinois, 1823-1824. Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Co.
- Gugin, Linda C. and James E. St. Clair. (2006). The Governors of Indiana. Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Society Press in cooperation with the Indiana Historical Bureau.
- Mills, Randy Keith, Ray E. Boomhower, Kathleen M. Breen, and Paula J. Corpuz. (2005). Jonathan Jennings: Indiana’s First Governor (Indiana Biography Series.
- Department for Libraries and Archives, Commonwealth of Kentucky, Kentucky's Governors (brief online biographical outline of governors)
- Harrison, Lowell Hayes. (2004). Kentucky's Governors (Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky.
- Powell, Robert A. (1976). Kentucky Governors (Danville, KY: Bluegrass Printing Company.
- Bridges, Tyler. (2001). Bad Bet on the Bayou: The Rise of Gambling in Louisiana and the Fall of Governor Edwin Edwards. New York, NY: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.
- Cowan, Walter Greaves and Jack B. McGuire. (2008). Louisiana Governors: Rulers, Rascals, and Reformers. Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi.
- Dawson, Joseph G. (1990). The Louisiana Governors: From Iberville to Edwards. Baton Rouge: LSU Press.
- Long, Huey P. (1933). Every Man a King: the Autobiography of Huey P. Long. New Orleans: National Book Co.
- Reeves, Miriam G. (1998). The Governors of Louisiana. Gretna, LA: Pelican Publishing Co.
- White, Jr., Richard D. (2006). Kingfish: the Reign of Huey P. Long. New York, NY: Random House.
- Williams, Harry T. (1969). Huey Long. New York, NY: Knopf.
- Smith, C. Fraser. (1999). William Donald Schaefer: A Political Biography. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- White, Jr., Frank F. (1970). The Governors of Maryland, 1777-1970. Annapolis, MD: Hall of Records Commission.
- Beatty, Jack. (1992). The Rascal King: the Life and Times of James Michael Curley, 1874-1958. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Nyhan, David. (1988). Duke: The Inside Story of a Political Phenomenon. Clayton, Victoria, Canada: Warner Books.
- Rivers, George R.R. (1896). The Governor’s Garden: A Relation of Some Passages in the Life of His Excellency Thomas Hutchinson, Sometime Captain-General and Governor-in-chief of His Majesty’s Province of Massachusetts Bay. Boston: Joseph Knight Co.
- Hemans, Lawton T. (1920). Life And Times of Stevens Thomson Mason: The Boy Governor of Michigan. Lansing, MI: Michigan Historical Commission.
- Mollenhoff, Clark R. (1968). George Romney: Mormon in Politics. Des Moines, IA: Meredith Press.
- Greenberg, Keith Elliot and Keith Greenburg. (1999). Jesse Ventura. Minneapolis: Lerner Publishing Group.
- Ventura, Jesse. (2000). I Ain't Got Time to Bleed: Reworking the Body Politic from the Bottom Up. New York, NY: Signet.
- Wilson, Betty. (2005). Rudy! the People's Governor: The Life And Times Of Rudy Perpich. Minneapolis, MN: Nodin Press.
- Sumners, Cecil Lamar. (1980). The Governors of Mississippi. Gretna, LA: Pelican Publishing Co.
- Waller, Bill. (2007). Straight Ahead: The Memoirs of a Mississippi Governor. Brandon, MS: Quail Ridge Press.
- Opocensky, Virginia. (1985). Nebraska Governors. Lincoln, NE: Lincoln City Libraries.
- Wehrbein, Theodore J. (2006). The Political Career of Robert B. Crosby, Nebraska Governor, 1953-1955. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska at Omaha. (M.A. Thesis)
- Aron, Michael. (1994). Governor's Race: A TV Reporter's Chronicle of the 1993 Florio/Whitman Campaign. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Felzenberg, Alvin S. (2006). Governor Tom Kean: From the New Jersey Statehouse to the 9-11 Commission. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Hogarty, Richard A. (2001). Leon Abbett's New Jersey:The Emergence of the Modern Governor. Darby, PA: Diane Publishing Co.
- Lockard, Duane. (1964). The New Jersey Governor: A Study in Political Power. Princeton: D. Van Nostrand.
- McClure, Sandy. (1996). Christie Whitman for the People: A Political Biography. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books.
- Stellhorn, Paul A. and Michael J. Birkner, (eds.). (1982). The Governors of New Jersey 1664-1974: Biographical Essays. Trenton, NJ, New Jersey Historical Commission.
- Wefing, John B. (2009). The Life and Times of Richard J. Hughes: The Politics of Civility. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Weissman, Art. (1996). Christine Todd Whitman: The Making of a National Political Player. Secaucus, NJ: Carol Publishing Corp.
- Dargan, Miguel Marion. (1940) My Nine Years as Governor of the Territory of New Mexico, 1897-1906. Albuquerque, NM, University of New Mexico Press.
- Rice, Liz. (2008). Bill Richardson. Philadelphia: Mason Crest Publishers.
- Cuomo, Mario. (1984). Diaries of M. Cuomo: The Campaign for Governor. New York, NY: Random House.
- Jenkins, John S. (1851). Lives of the Governors of the State of New York . Auburn, NY: Derby and Miller.
- Masters, Brooke A. (2006). Spoiling for a Fight: The Rise of Eliot Spitzer. New York, NY: Owl Books.
- Morris, Edmund. (2001). The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. New York, NY: Modern Library.
- Morris, Edmund. (2001). Theodore Rex. New York, NY: Random House.
- Persico, Joseph E. (1982). The Imperial Rockefeller: A Biography of Nelson A. Rockefeller. New York, NY: Pocket Books.
- Reich, Cary. (1996). The Life of Nelson A. Rockefeller: Worlds to Conquer, 1908-1958. New York, NY: Doubleday.
- Tully, Grace. (1949). Franklin Delano Roosevelt, My Boss. Chicago, Il: Peoples Book Club.
- Underwood, James E. and William J. Daniels. (1982). Governor Rockefeller in New York: The Apex of Pragmatic Liberalism in the United States. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Crabtree, Beth G. (1974). North Carolina Governors 1585-1974: Brief Sketches. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Division of Archives & History.
- Ohio Historical Society, Ohio History Central (brief biographies of Ohio governors)
- Rhodes, James A. (1991). Ohio Governor 1963-1971 and 1975-1983. Columbus, OH: Ohio Editorial Enterprises.
- Fischer, LeRoy Henry. (1975). Oklahoma's Governors 1890-1907: Territorial Years. Norman, OK: Oklahoma Historical Society.
- Armor, William C. (1872). Lives of the Governors of Pennsylvania, with the Incidental History of the State from 1609 to 1872. Philadelphia: James K. Dixon.
- Casey, Robert P. (1996). Fighting for Life. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Inc.
- Swetnam, George. (1990). The Governors of Pennsylvania 1790-1990. Greensburg, PA: McDonald & Sward Publishing Co.
- Wolf, George D. (1981). William Warren Scranton: Pennsylvania Statesman. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press.
- Mohr, Ralph S. (1954). Governors for Three Hundred Years: Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, 1638-1954. Providence, RI: State of Rhode Island Graves Registration Committee.
- Crawford, Charles Wann. (1979). Governors of Tennessee, 1790-1835. Memphis, TN: Memphis State University Press.
- Texas State Historical Association, Handbook of Texas Online (online biographies of Texas governors)
- Anderson, Ken. (2008). Dan Moody: Crusader for Justice. Washington, DC: Georgetown Press.
- De Bruhl, Marshall. (1993). Sword of San Jacinto: A Life of Sam Houston. New York, NY: Random House.
- Fitzgerald, Hugh Nugent. (1927). Governors I Have Known. Austin:: The Austin American-Statesman.
- Gantt, Jr., Fred. (1964). The Chief Executive in Texas. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- Phares, Ross. (1976). The Governors of Texas. Gretna, LA: Pelican.
- Williams, Amelia W. and Eugene C. Barker, eds. (1970). The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813-1863 (8 vols). Austin and New York: Pemberton Press.
- Williams, John Hoyt. (1993). Sam Houston: A Biography of the Father of Texas. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.
- Lythgoe, Dennis L. (1982). Let 'Em Holler: A Political Biography of J. Bracken Lee. Salt Lake City: Utah State Historical Society.
- Brock, R.A. (1888). Virginia and Virginians: Executives of the Colony of Virginia from Sir Thomas Smyth to Lord Dunmore. Charlottesville, VA: H.H. Hardesty.
- Jeffries, Judson L. (2000). Virginia’s Native Son: The Election and Administration of Governor L. Douglas Wilder. Purdue University Press.
- Scheer, Teva J. (2005). Governor Lady: The Life and Times of Nellie Tayloe Ross. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press.